Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lessons Learned

Had a couple of rather stark realizations today where Guyana taught me something about myself.  These are not necessarily grand revelations… but more like an example of how I am being witnessed to by the people of Guyana whether they know it or not.

1. Text study today at Calvary Lutheran Church
I had the good fortune to be invited to join the local text study with other pastors and lay leaders from several churches of various denominations in Georgetown.  During our review of the Gospel lesson for this upcoming Sunday (Matthew 3:13-17), Pr. Moses asked about the significance of this story being set in Cornelius’ home, a Gentile whom Peter was called on to preach the Gospel to.  The discussion turned to the many different religions in Guyana (Hindu, Muslim, and others) and how we might read this lesson in our own context.  In my hubris, I rushed in quoting something from my “Jesus & Plural Worlds” course last semester about how we as Christians are called to be in relationship with people of other religions and to meet them in the “soft spots” of faith where we might share a commonality and let that be the entry to talking about Jesus.

Pr. Moses smiled at me and said that while he meant no disrespect, in his opinion Christians in North America are soft on the Gospel… that we take a lukewarm approach to an evangelical mission that just doesn’t work in this multi-ethnic, multi-religious context like Guyana.  And I thought… he’s right!  How many times have I sat back and left things unsaid about Christ just to be polite?  When have I let my understanding of the Gospel truly become the focus of a conversation?  He is right… we, as Americans live in a different context… and at least those within this Lutheran tradition… don’t always opt for the real conversation about Jesus.  And then I thought that maybe we should...

2. Visiting the market afterwards
My companion, Deacon Elaine, and I walked down to the open air market up the street from the church on our way home.  I wanted to get some more bananas for Chrissy’s arrival tonight and Elaine said she would help me find some.  The marketplace was crowded and teeming with people just off work and looking to get items for dinner before heading home.  There were cars passing by very closely and all sorts of sellers calling out from their stalls.  I even managed to snap a picture of the girl who sold me the bananas.

 

So, how did this experience preach to me?  It was in the sea of humanity that was made up entirely of people of color.  I was the only white person there.  I walked very aware of my “other-ness” for the first time in my life.  I was keenly aware of the demarcation between “me” and “them”, knowing that I was the one who was not normal and being looked at strangely.  Now while this does not compare to any experience of racism, discrimination, or cultural bias… I feel that it was a glimmer from the surface and one that I had not expected to feel so acutely. 


Those were my lessons today… not extraordinary, but certainly ones that will linger for me even when I am no longer in this place.  Wonder what I will learn tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment