Friday, July 24, 2015

Trusting in God...


Self-reliance and independence have always been my watchwords.  Growing up, my sisters and I were taught to have a strong work ethic and to do things for ourselves whenever we could.  And in my adult life, I confess that my natural instinct is to “circle the wagons” and seek as little outside assistance as possible. 

However, since beginning this journey of my call to pursue ordained ministry and then leaning into the spiritual formation that entails, I have been slowly learning to open that fist I had closed tightly around my life.  I have been working to relinquish control and to be okay with being in need.

It hasn’t been easy, certainly.  I still have moments where asking for help is the last thing I want to do.  And yet, in those moments I cling to the words of Proverbs 3:5-6…

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. 

In all your ways, acknowledge God, and God will make straight your paths."


When I have been most unsure of my path, these words remind me to put my trust where it is most secure.  Not in my own understandings of how my life should work out, but in the knowledge that God has prepared a way for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment